A well-maintained transportation infrastructure is key to the economic survival of any community. Some of these structures such as bridges, airports and ports are vital and must remain fully operational following a major disaster such as an earthquake. At the same time, many components in these systems deteriorate with aging and corrosion and require repair. The increase in loading also requires various components of the transportation infrastructure to be strengthened to resist the additional loads safely. Changes in codes also may require seismic upgrading of various structural elements in transportation systems such as columns, pile, piers, beams, walls, etc. All these conditions create an ideal environment for repair and strengthening of the transportation infrastructure with QuakeWrap® Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) products.
Our engineered FRP solutions offer fast, long-lasting and economical repair alternatives to owners, architect/engineers and contractors involved with the transportation industry to ensure the project is completed on time, within budget and with minimum disruption of service. These systems are particularly ideal when the repairs have to be completed in a short time frame and provide a long service life.
Some of the repair and strengthening projects in transportation industry that can benefit from QuakeWrap® engineered FRP solutions are:
- Repair of corrosion damaged concrete or steel columns, piling, walls, etc.
- Strengthening of floor decks, beams, columns and walls as a result of change of use in existing structures or placement of additional loads, etc. using PileMedic®
- Blast retrofit/mitigation or force protection of the key structures such as control towers in airports against terrorist attacks or accidental explosion
- Seismic strengthening of concrete and masonry buildings and bridges for enhanced resiliency in case a major earthquake occurs
- Repair and strengthening of corroded corrugated metal pipe (CMP) culverts busing StifPipe®
- Strengthening rectangular culverts with wet layup FRP to increase their live load capacity
- Repair of existing and construction of new pipelines that carry water or other fluids across a bridge using the InfinitPipe® technology
- Repair of jetties and submerged piles
- Repair of corrosion-damaged seawalls, sheet piles, etc. with SPiRe® system
In most cases, QuakeWrap engineers can provide a complete “turnkey” design-build solution that includes sealed engineering drawings by our in-house engineers, all of the materials needed, and installation by one of our approved and certified installers or our construction company. This unique turnkey design-build approach results in significant efficiency, time and cost-savings, and minimizes the potential errors and delays that can result when multiple groups are involved in one project.
QuakeWrap® also welcomes the opportunity to partner with owners, architects, engineers and contractors by providing any single aspect of the project, i.e., design, materials, or installation for a specific project in any transportation project.