Marine Structures (Marinas/Docks/Piers/Jetties)
The U.S. Coast Guard and Navy have a large inventory of marine and waterfront structures worldwide. The marine and waterfront structures are subjected to daily tidal fluctuations and/or salt water spray. These conditions lead to rapid deterioration of steel and concrete structures such as seawalls, piles, piers, sheet piles, etc. In most cases, the repairs in these wet conditions using conventional materials and techniques are very expensive and time-consuming. Many of these projects require the use of divers that add to the time and cost of repair. Our unique solutions eliminate or significantly reduce the need for divers. Military organizations such as the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard prefer repair techniques that are fast, safe and long-lasting so their infrastructure is returned to service quickly and with minimal disruption of service.
QuakeWrap® engineered Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) solutions offer fast, long-lasting and economical repair alternatives to owners, architect/engineers and contractors involved with navy and coast guard marine and waterfront structures to ensure the project is completed on time, within budget and with minimum disruption of service. We offer several patented systems developed by Prof. Mo Ehsani such as PileMedic® for repair of piles and SPiRe® for repair of seawalls and sheet piles. In addition to providing strength, PileMedic® and SPiRe® provide an impervious barrier that keeps water and oxygen away from the structure. It is a recognized fact that oxygen is the fuel to the corrosion process and by eliminating the inflow of oxygen, the corrosion rate reached near zero levels.
Some of the repair and strengthening applications we offer to the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard for their marine and waterfront structures using QuakeWrap® engineered FRP solutions are:
- Repair of concrete floors and beams in decks and piers that are damaged by corrosion with minimal disruption of service
- Strengthening of concrete or timber floors and beams in decks and piers to carry heavier loads
- Strengthening of corrosion-damaged concrete, steel or timber piles with PileMedic® to resist higher loads
- Seismic strengthening of concrete, steel and timber structures and submerged piles for enhanced resiliency in case a major earthquake occurs
- Repair of corroded seawalls and steel sheet piles with SPiRe®
- Repair and strengthening of corrosion-damaged culverts with StifPipe®
- Repair and strengthening of large partially or fully submerged structures such as massive foundations with our patented system using pre-manufactured shells that are wrapped with wet layup FRP in the field
In most cases, QuakeWrap engineers can provide a complete “turnkey” design-build solution to the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard that includes sealed engineering drawings by our in-house engineers, all of the materials needed, and installation by one of our approved and certified installers. This unique turnkey design-build approach results in significant efficiency, time and cost-savings, and minimizes the potential errors and delays that can result when multiple groups are involved in one project. Our patented technologies that reduce the need for divers result in further cost savings in repair of marine structures.
QuakeWrap® also welcomes the opportunity to partner with owners, architects, engineers and contractors by providing any single aspect of the project, i.e., design, materials, or installation for a specific project.